Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

New Member - welcoming a new Golden Girl on Dec. 1/12

8K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  carlyn110 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Karen. We lost our beloved Shelby on June 2/12 at 13 1/2 years old from a stroke. Best dog we ever had and miss her very much.

We will be welcoming a new golden named "Maggie" on December 1/12 from our Breeder in Kamloops, BC. She was born on October 11/12 from a litter of Eight - 5 girls and 3 boys. The pups were born the day after our Shelby's birthday (October 10/12). This is the same Breeder we got our Shelby from.

Somewhere in this litter is our new little Golden Girl "Maggie". Our Breeder will be matching the pups with the new owners.

We are so excited. Right now we have a 10 month old yellow lab which will be Maggie's playmate.

:wave:

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all: I have some bad and good news about our trip to get Maggie.

When we got to her house Saturday morning she told us a few days earlier she noticed Maggie's head tended to tilt to the left. She said she sent videos to 2 vets in Kamloops regarding Maggie's head tilt. Without the vets even physically examining Maggie, they made the diagnosis to our breeder that she has "mild cerebellum hypoplasia". It's a condition that won't get worse or better. She told us she would sell her to us for half the usual fee but it was our decision if we still wanted her or not. We had our heart set on bringing her home. I phoned my own vet and after talking to her we decided not to adopt her, our vet told us without blood tests and a neurological check there's no way to make a proper diagnosis of what the issue was. She also said whatever caused this condition might have caused other problems in the future. After losing 2 dogs in the last year the thought of going through something like that again with a young dog was the last thing we wanted.

Even if we didn't have to pay full price for her because of this condition, we thought maybe down the road as she gets older there might be a chance it worsens and that would be devastating for us. The breeder said in the 30 years she's been breeding this is the first time she's had a pup with problems. Maggie's cerebellum may have not completely matured at birth, being squished by her siblings in the womb? We watched her run and play with her siblings, she was holding her own and there was no outward appearance there was a problem other than the head tilt when she sat down or stood and looked at something. We feel the breeder should have had tests done, come up with a diagnosis and called us ahead of time, before driving up to get her, making that decision after seeing, petting and cuddling her was not easy.

We asked her if we don't take her what will become of little Maggie, the breeder said "you don't want to know". I left in tears.

My husband Googled "head tilt" when we got home and now we think there's a chance she might not have this condition at all. It could just very well be an infection in her ear, which is a minor problem compared to what the 2 vets diagnosed her with. The breeder's indifference toward Maggie is very disappointing, better to just take the loss than to pay for a proper medical exam I guess..?

The breeder mentioned another breeder in Kamloops had some pups ready to go as of November 27, so we phoned her and went to see the pups. We contacted this breeder at one time as a back-up just in case there weren't enough females in the litter Maggie came from.

We ended up bringing home a little 9 week old girl and are calling her Molly, she's a real cutie but we still worry about little Maggie.

Our original breeder was where we got our old girl "Shelby" from and she was the best dog anyone could ever have. So that's why we decided to go with her again, not the way we wanted this story to end.

I am now going to close this thread and start another one for Molly.

This still troubles us because we e-mailed her and said that Maggie should be physically checked out. Why should a dog be put down if possibly a wrong diagnosis was made without even seeing the dog. After the 8 weeks we looked forward to taking little Maggie home this really bothers us.
We've asked the breeder to have her checked out, she's such cutie, pretty little girl we hope there's a happy ending to Maggie's story.
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...ber-welcoming-new-golden-girl-dec-1-12-a.html

#31 ·
That is so sad and disturbing. Would you do me a favor? Please suggest to Maggie's breeder, if she doesn't want to go to the expense of a vet exam, to please, please turn her over to Golden rescue, so she will at least a have a chance at a home with a family. You can find the national list on this website:

National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

Maybe if you give her that list she will at least consider it.

Congratulations on little Molly!

#33 ·
Thanks for your post. Yes, Brenda is wonderful. No pressure from her when we went to see the pups. But of course fell in love with Molly and brought her home.
I'll start a new thread about her soon and will posts pictures.
The picture on my signature is Molly. :wavey:

#35 ·
I'm so very sorry and appalled at how things turned out with Maggie. Bottom line: if a person isn't prepared to do whatever they have to for the health and well-being of the lives they've caused to be created- that person has no business creating those lives. I do think you did the right thing getting a different pup, but I can't imagine your heartache.

On a positive note- I'm so glad you have a healthy baby and are enjoying your time with her! You need to change your username to "Molly's Mommy" now! And both my boys are probably cousins of your little Molly, in some way or another. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#36 · (Edited)
Just an update for anyone that stumbles across this thread.

We complained to the Golden Retriever Club of BC (GRCBC) about the breeder Karen Fyke. The GRCBC has a "code of ethics" which stipulates that the pups must be vet checked before going to new homes. It's obvious to us that Karen didn't do that, she told us the vet diagnosed Maggie over the phone after she sent her a video, the vet never did see her and she didn't tell us till we drove 4 hours on snowy icy roads, double that to include the trip home. That's when she offered to sell her to us for half price, not really "ethical" behaviour in our opinion. When we left we asked what would happen to Maggie, Karen's response was, "you don't want to know", nice...

The GRCB president told us their executive met and decided there was no breach to their code of ethics by Karen Fyke, obviously we don't agree with this, we're not really impressed with Karen Fyke or the GRCBC.

Maybe we should start another thread warning people about the GRBC, what do you think?

#38 ·
I am just catching up with your old posts, I am so sorry for what happened. Have to find Molly's thread now. Wish you all the best with your new little girl.

#39 ·
Welcome Dear. I like these images. Some of these are awesome.I am Carlyn.I am new on this forum. I have heard umpteen good comments about this forum. Now finally i have decided to sign up and join the company of good people here. I hope we will have a good time by helping each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.