Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Bella et al, an update

897 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  OutWest 
#1 ·
Bella's been with us for about 5 weeks, so i thought I'd update everyone. overall she's settled in quite well. I think she believes she lives here now. :D

I'm hoping to start a class with her soon, but the holidays are making that difficult.

Temperament wise, she's livelier and needier than Tucker. Never thought I'd meet a livelier dog than Tucker! :doh: We've been working with her on the jumping and for the most part she understands but she gets SO EXCITED sometimes she just can't contain herself. I think that will continue to improve. She is very talkative. It's very cute and happens mostly when she's excited or happy to see us.

Socially, she's still afraid of strangers, but has gotten to the point where she no longer shrinks away as if they're going to eat her or hit her. With dogs, she's doing well. I had thought she was well socialized to dogs because she accepted Tucker so readily, but in fact I think she had very little dog exposure. Only issue we have is when she gets right in dogs' faces at the DP and barks at them. I was worried at first, thinking it was aggression but mostly I think it's the only way she knows how to invite a dog to play. I intervene every now and then, just so she doesn't overwhelm certain dogs, but mostly I'm letting the other dogs school her. She's gotten very fond of Tess (I think Tess isn't so excited, LOL) and I'll see her licking Tess or sleeping next to her once in a while. She's very affectionate. She comes up to me often and jams her head into the crook of my arm and gazes up at me with those big brown eyes. Then she makes her funny talking sound and plops down, her way of asking for a belly rub. Too cute!

Eating: She's transferred to her new food very well, and has figured out that she needs to eat fast and leave nothing behind or the other dogs will eat it for her. :) She gets very excited about her meals now, and prances around when I start fixing them. I've been trying to put a couple pounds on her, and I think she's gained a bit. But she's a very active, lively dog, and I think she'll always be on the thin side (that's a good thing though).

Playing: she loves tug of war, bitey face, and chasing the ball. She's really good and fast at getting the ball, and gives Tucker a run for the money. She was interested in the ball right away, but didn't know to bring it back. She figured that out by watching Tucker and now she's very into it all.

Our home: She still doesn't like the crate, and I'm hoping she'll settle with that soon. She whimpers when we all go to bed. Tucker is next to her, but she would like to escape and get to one of the humans. But she slept in DD's room the other day and was so lively that DD didn't get much sleep, so the crate is her bedroom for now. The gates are an issue--she crashed through one this morning in the 15 minutes it took to take DD to school and come home. :doh: I'm hopeful we can get her to respect them, if for no other reason than I'd like to confine the dogs to the kitchen area when they come back in after it rains.

Anyway, that's the scoop on pretty Bella. Sorry this is so long. Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome news! Sounds like she fits right in! Sometimes it takes a little time..they have to have time to adjust and figure out they arent going anywhere and are loved by their new family.

Reactions: OutWest
#6 ·
I don't know if this will help but I know for gates I just made the gate taller than Buddy for the first couple months. Now he's huge but he won't try to jump the gate! Thanks for the update :)

#7 ·
I think that's a lot of why Tucker respects the gates--he first encountered them as a puppy and they were really big to him then. They are tall gates though--I don't think there are higher ones out there to buy! I may break down and install some permanente ones that can't be knocked over and that look nicer than what I've got.

#10 ·
Kat thank you for the update on Bella and sounds like she is fitting in well considering this is all so new for her. Bet she gives Tucker a run for his money. I am sure you are right in her treatment of gates and just needs time to learn she can't go through them. Mine were started as puppies and though they are grown now they still respect the gates and don't try to cross. I am sure she will get it.

You can tell by your words that you love this little girl already and she sounds like she knows she now is in a forever home. This was meant to be! Yea!!

Reactions: OutWest
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.