Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Two sick dogs, one appointment - who to take?

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  vcm5 
#1 ·
As you know, I have a vet appointment in two hours for Riley (see this thread: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...standard/123173-vet-visit-riley-thoughts.html).

But this morning I woke up to Winston, who does not have accidents in his crate normally, having had diarrhea in his crate and then slept in it (so I've had a lovely morning of giving a dog covered in poop a bath, cleaning the tub, and cleaning the crate).

The diarrhea was pretty soft but not pure liquid and it was brown but it did have a really weird smell. Winston is eating and drinking and playing normally.

So who to take to the vet?

#5 ·
Take both. I would probably discuss it with the vet when you get there vs having them check the pup out and get a fecal on him. But my vet only charges for the visit, not per dog.

I don't really think I would be concerned about 1 bowel movement with the pups who may have gotten something he shouldn't have yesterday... but I would take him with anyway just in case the dogs are sharing some kind of bug. Besides... I call it moral support for the other dog. :)

#6 ·
We've done double appointments when one dog had an appointment and something concerning popped up with the other. It's busier in the exam room but our vet sees both. I've offered to pay a double consult fee since doing two dogs in one appointment causes her to run later with her following appointments, but so far it hasn't happened. I think they know (after almost 20 years) we'll be back with more business. ;) I also am not bothered when our regular appointments run late due to another client's emergencies.

#7 ·
Well the appointment time is nearer and I think Winston is just fine. He has a little bit of diarrhea but I gave him rice and pumpkin and he has more energy this morning than I have ever seen him have before. I took his temperature and that was normal as well. I am leaning towards just taking Riley and if Winston isn't feeling better in a day or so having him seen then.

#8 ·
Can Winston stay in the car when you go & ask the vet what he/she thinks?They may say bring him in & take a quick look.When I take both & leave one in the car I give the receptionist my cell phone # & they call me when they're ready to see us.That way one doesn't stay in the car by itself too long.

#10 ·
How hard is it to get another appointment if you need it for Winston, later? If it is hard, I would take him, but if it is realatively easy, and he now seems to be doing well, then I would leave him. Like Megora's vet, ours only charges for the office visit, not the number of dogs. If I am going to bring an extra dog, I try to call ahead and let the office know.

#16 ·
Good to hear the boys are all right :)

It is always better to take thme to the vet for nothing, than the other way around (just did that the last 2 weeks in a row! I guess being a rookie puppy owner that happenes a bit... The vet even made fun os us and aksed us if we had vet-vouchers and if that was the reason we would stop by every Friday).

#19 ·
The vet said Riley seemed totally fine so she just gave us a probiotic to try!

As for Winston - I've had about enough of him today. First we woke up to him having pooped in his crate and slept in it. And then I had to leave for a meeting and I came back afterwards and he had pooped AND peed in his crate again. And he hasn't had an accident in so long, and hasn't ever had one in his crate. And its so gross to clean up and to have to bathe him when he is covered in his own diarrhea.

He seems perfectly cheerful, but I've had it just about up to here and I worry about his diarrhea. He is eating, drinking, and playing normally, but I just don't know what could have caused it, especially since his stool sample was negative.

#20 ·
Sorry you're having problems Val but glad the Vet said they're ok. We went through a terrible time with diarrhea with Bentley (not in his crate though eeww) when he started teething. It happened on and off for about 2 weeks then stopped.
Is he teething maybe?
EDIT: Love that you have his pic as your Avi LOL

#21 ·
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I seem to remember you saying something about changing their food? Could that have something to do with the diarrhea? Or I could be mistaken.

When Max was a puppy we changed his food a couple of times until we found one that agreed with him best.

PS: also like the new avatar.

#22 ·
Try a bland diet(boiled rice/20 minute rice and boiled beef)... Also metronidazole from a vet will help .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.