Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What do you think of clicker training?

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  quilter 
#1 ·
Thoughts? A dog trainer we used in the past said he wasn't a fan. Any thoughts on this?

Is there a common training method that you guys like to use?

#2 ·
I'm still on the fence about it. Our trainer is a big big big big big advocate for clicker training. I've noticed Bear seems to get cues faster with the clicker (ie drop it, go to the mat, nose-to-hand).

The biggest grrrr I have with it is my hands are too full most of the time with the clicker and the treats, etc. sometimes I click for nothing or forget to click, etc. overall I would encourage you to try it for a month consistently and see how you feel about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I'm a big fan. Am using it with great success with my GR pup. Learnt the basic sit & down within two days using clicker & treats. Learnt stay within the first week, & very quickly learnt Leave it & touch, & to offer his paw. As soon as he sees me pick up the clicker, he immediately goes into a sit or down position, waiting for training ....he knows good things are coming his way & its a real time of bonding. Clicker training is easy. My trainer doesn't use the clicker, but she says its great. And once the puppy has mastered. A command, you no longer have to click & treat for it. You just use praise. My husband was very against using this method. He said it was ridiculous to be carrying a clicker & treats everywhere, but he has seen how quickly Loki is being trained & is impressed.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. Few questions:

1. What advantage does the clicker have over simply praising the dog, saying "Good dog!" and giving him a treat when he does the behavior correctly?

2. If you use the clicker how do you correct bad behavior? How does the dog know that 'No" means no?

#5 ·
I've always used clicker training and I love it. I can teach my dogs anything very quickly with the clicker. I understand what Brave said about your hands being full and not clicking on time, we all went through that in the beginning but it really does become second nature. I don't even have to think about clicking now, it's just kind of automatic.
Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

#7 ·
I started all my dogs on clicker... and then moved to simply using the word "yes" it is fast and easy to say... it marks the behavior so I no longer need the clicker... that having been said my dogs understand that when i take the clicker out they are learning something new... vs. just practicing what they already know. My dogs that are competing for their CDX right now have all been "clicker" trained to an extent...

that having been said I do not have any problem with a FIRM NO or EHHH EHHH to let them know when they are doing something wrong... the most important thing about training in my mind is that so many people are quick to tell their dogs what they can't do but then forget to tell them what they can do...

i don't subscribe to any one ideology when it comes to training... clicker is great for puppies and then once they mature I reach into my bag of tricks and come up with what is best for that istuation at that time with that dog

#9 ·
I am trying to train my 3 month old golden, Riley. I ran into a lady today and she showed me how well the clicker works. After digging in her purse for a while she came up with it and it did work, however the commands didn't work without it. Ill follow this post more before I run out and get one.

#14 ·
Although there are some things I use a clicker for, clicker training is one of my least favorite methods of training. It is a very sterile, scientific method meant to minimize the role of the person. I LIKE being a part of the training, having my hands on my dog during the process. The main reason I train my dog is for the bonding, and I don't feel the same bonding in clicker training.

Not to mention my youngest gets very frustrated if he can't figure out what I want him to quickly enough. He never gives up, but doesn't enjoy it like he does our other training. He'd much rather me just show him what to do than make him figure it out

#17 ·
I do think you can do both.. the clicker is just a marker. How you train your dog to get to do what you want is up to you. Depending on what I am trying to teach I can be very hands on with Molly and the clicker helps her get it very quickly. It is just a way for me to mark what I want because my timing is not good when I say "yes".

#16 ·
The clicker is faster than saying the word, "yes". Since golden #3, all have been clicker trained in this household... However, I do use negative words, etc..

#19 ·
A friend is getting a Lab from a breeder near Memphis. His wife was showing me the video on an 8 week training class they offer for the pups. One of the trainers has his clicker attached by a short string to the bottom of the treat bag - the motion was very smooth, click and move up to get the treat all the same motion. I plan to try that.

#21 ·
I've started integrating clicker into training as we're working on harder concepts for my boys (they're having a little difficulty keeping a good heel) and it's working wonders. My reason is similar to another that was mentioned, I'm utilizing it to work in segments on getting a good heel (turn around, walk towards, come to side, etc.)

#22 ·
I started clicker training with Zeus today and at 7 weeks old he's already learned sit in 1 day (on occasion he will get distracted but majority of the time he gets it instantly). So far no complaints but this early into training we'll just have to wait and see. I'll work on sit and down tomorrow.

#23 ·
I also find that the clicker itself means something to the dogs and they understand its purpose so when we are practicing I use the word yes but when they see the physical clicker that is a whole different thing to them and they seem to know to try things over and over and think of new things...

#24 ·
Casper learns really quickly with clicker training. This is both a blessing and a curse. The reason is because he's so willing to offer new behaviors. Sometimes his "offerings" are less than optimal. How about I sit? or down? or backup? or jump on you? or the couch? or grab the leash? or roll over? or pick up my toy? or go to my bed? or dig a hole? grab a kleenex? There is an element of luring allowed, but sometimes he's just all over the place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.