Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

New idea to exercise Bentley more

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Dallas Gold 
#1 ·
I had a thought last night while 'trying' to go to sleep. It's obvious that Bentley needs a ton of exercise besides his walks. At my age I'm not going to be running around the backyard with him so I've been trying to come up with ideas.
I notice that anytime a bird or plane flies overhead Bentley stops what he's doing to watch it until it's out of sight. Soooooooo............
DH has a remote controlled helicopter that I'm going to take outback today and see if he will run while chasing it. This could be a brilliant plan or one of my dumber plans but I'll find out today :D
I know when there's a squirrel on the other side of the fence it taunts him by running back and forth making Bentley run trying to get it. If the helicopter doesn't work maybe I'll try putting a "tail" on it :)

#17 ·
Did Jack catch the car? :D

I got to tell you, I LOVE READING YOUR POSTS, you just really have the most interesting things to say, i use to love to read RANGERS post, about her dog,and things she did, she must be busy,don't see her post much.
Thank you! Sometimes I just get on here and write what happened without really thinking then later I'm like...WHY did I write that??? :doh:

#14 ·
Treadmill. One of my good friends, who helped us get both Bennett and Banker, was into confirmation with her Goldens. After she was diagnosed with cancer and had to undergo both chemo and radiation, she started using a treadmill in addition to the walks with neighbor boys.
When we bought a treadmill, I made sure it had the longest possible deck. Bennett loved it - he quickly learned that it beeps three times before starting to move. Even though we never left him alone on it, I still attached the deadman's switch to his collar.
Banker doesn't care for it, but in the event of bad weather, it could be an option for him.

#15 ·
i bought this toy at a pet store, it is a stuffie tied firmly on a string on a small plastic pole. i can stand in backyard and roll the stuffie on the ground of fling it up in the air etc and chloe goes nuts for it. it releases a ton of her engery while i get to keep mine!

#18 ·
I know this reply comes awhile after the original post but I wanted to share. I bought Isabella a pet lasor today. She absolutely loves it. She will run around he house or outside chasing after it and all I have to is stand there and move the lasor. She's been playing with it for hours now. It only cost $3 at Dollar General.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.