Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Eating Bedding

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jackie_hubert 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.. i know this may be a re-thread but I need help?!

My TWO year old Golden is still eating her bedding. I thought she may out grow it because she used to rip everything apart when she was a puppy, then I just used towels for the last 8-9 months because of that. :no:
Went out and bought a new bed last night, a flat memory foam one and a puffy Kong brand.... She ripped a hole in the middle of the foam one and pulled some of the foam out, and started gnawing on the corner of this "chew resistant" Kong one. :mad:
I do kennel them at night and during the day while I'm not home, in a large indoor dog run approximately 8' X 10'.... so its not a small kennel that she's stuck in. I don't like keeping toys in there for risk of choking while i am not around. She does have my 3 year old Golden as company as well that has never destroyed anything.

Please help... i know your going to say go back to towels. But i am looking for a result not a cover up until she out grows it... Shouldn't she have out grown this at 2 already?!

Thank You in advance!!!!

#2 ·
Bottom line - she is bored. If she is spending more time in the kennel than out, (all night, and a good part of the day, if you are working) with nothing but a 'bed' to play with, she is going to play with the bed. You can't expect her to sleep all the time. Imagine spending your days/nights in a bare environment - not very interesting, and it wouldn't be long before you were looking for 'something' to do. She needs some toys, there are many safe toys for adult dogs.
Crucial to 'good behavior' is exercise, interaction, and stimulation,and lots of it. Is she getting enough of ALL of these? Good walks, runs, outside time, 'family time' and interaction and time to just 'be' with her people, opportunities to use her brain.There is a lot of truth to the saying 'A tired dog is a good dog.'

#3 ·
Charliethree always gives the best advice on this forum! I know for us whenever Bentley starts doing "bad" things the fastest way for me to correct the problem is to add more exercise. He needs a LOT more exercise than I could have ever imagined and if I slack off, even a tiny bit, he gets into something. The upside to that is I've lost 7 lbs :)

#4 ·
I can help you locate a good dog-walker in the area if you wish.

Unfortunately some dogs, a lot actually, arent' good being left alone for that long. We all have to work obviously so a good dog-walker (NOT one of those that walks 5 dogs at a time) is a great alternative. Expensive but I bet better than coming home to a ripped up bed and a dog with something stuck in its stomach. At least you could do that every couple of days to break things up a bit.

Research has shown that another dog in the home doesn't make a difference unfortuantely.

Hope you stick around. We'd love to see some photos of your pup too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.