Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

The tests were wrong. I can't even say it.

79K views 1K replies 97 participants last post by  goldy1 
#1 ·
I have been crying for eight hours. Just when I think I am cried out, it starts again. I couldn't even come here and write about it until now.

I found out today that the large mass under Tee's leg was not benign. Even as I write it, I just can't believe it. The needle aspiration was wrong. I can't understand it or believe it. The histology, the test of pieces of the actual mass itself, is completely different. And because the prelim test was wrong, the mass was not removed with full margins, so Tesia needs to have more surgery.

Has this ever happened to anyone? The needle aspiration conclusion was a benign cystic follicular tumour. The histology says the differentials are malignant lymphoma or amelanomic melanoma. None of it makes sense. She has no swelling in her lymph nodes whatsoever. No symptoms of illness at all. She has blood tests every six months which have been normal save for a slightly elevated urea level. The last one was just three months ago. And she had full blood work the morning of the surgery. And melanoma? The tumour was not a skin tumour - it was growing outside her abdomen. I just don't get it. The histology suggests the tumour was full of cancer cells. But my vet took lots of cells from all different parts of the mass for the needle aspiration because it was so big. None of the cells suggested there was cancer. The day before the surgery, she was running hard and fast playing ball. She is the picture of health. And she is eating just fine now - the vet told me Tramadol is very bitter. As soon as I took it out of her food - she gobbled it all up. I got all her antibiotics into her (she's on two now) in pieces of hotdog bun - which she also hoovered.

So how can this be?

We go back to my vet tomorrow. She was going to try to speak to both pathologists who did the tests and try to make sense of it. She is as baffled and stunned as I am. I can't stop thinking, hoping, that the samples were mixed up. That these test results are not really Tesia's. My vet has already ordered up the tests which will determine if it is T-cell or B-cell lymphoma or melanoma. Those results will take 7 to 14 business days. I need to make an appointment to see an oncologist - my vet said I should do that sooner than later. I think that's when I started to sob again.

I am just devastated. This dog is my heart. This photo is days before the surgery. It just makes no sense.

See less See more
#336 ·
Many have lost dogs to cancer and it is so unbelievably hard. Treat every day like a gift from God, because it is. I hope you will have many days of love and snuggles left.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#341 ·
First of all, I'm so sorry. However, I'm glad you were able to speak to the surgeon and now have a diagnosis. Also, like BMF pointed out, those percentages are just figures and aren't meant for you to hang all your hopes on.

That being said, I understand your second guessing about the mass. When Hannah was initially diagnosed with STS, I fretted/worried/blamed myself for not noticing sooner, not being more demanding, etc. I "needed" to go through that part of the grieving process, but I realized I needed to move past it because Hannah needed my energies focused on her care and being the best advocate for her I could be. You've got a great attitude in keeping her your priority, as she has been, and planning for more good memories. We're here for you both.

One thing at a time, the infection is very serious and yes, absolutely should be under control before moving forward. However, your meeting will help you prepare for the next step. It's great that you'll be meeting with the surgeon AND the oncologist. I would advise taking a list of questions, making notes and, if needed (like I did) keep asking them to explain things until they make the most sense. One thing I learned was important with STS is to know the mitotic index of the removed mass. That's the number of cells in mitosis in X number of fields magnified X times which tells them the speed at which the cancer is multiplying.

#349 ·
One thing at a time, the infection is very serious and yes, absolutely should be under control before moving forward. However, your meeting will help you prepare for the next step. It's great that you'll be meeting with the surgeon AND the oncologist. I would advise taking a list of questions, making notes and, if needed (like I did) keep asking them to explain things until they make the most sense. One thing I learned was important with STS is to know the mitotic index of the removed mass. That's the number of cells in mitosis in X number of fields magnified X times which tells them the speed at which the cancer is multiplying.
That is actually one of the questions on my list. The pathology report on the big mass was 10 mitotic figures per 40HPF. But I don't know if that is the final number, or if there is another number generated from the stains. Or if that means her mitotic number is 10.

I expect her grade will be high. :( The cells were very poorly diffrentiated and there is already spread to the lungs. There was also a fair bit of necrosis in the mass. All not good. She also has several new bumps, exactly like the spindle cell tumour that was removed from her back as part of this. So something is multiplying. This is why I want to get the treatment started now.

As far as pulling chicken- I let it cool down. If I'm cooking a whole chicken (usually in the slow cooker) it basically falls off the bone once I take the skin off. I wear food service plastic gloves to do this just to keep it sanitary. If it's a breast, I just cut it up with knife and fork and it usually naturally pulls into shreds.

I agree with Barb- thighs are more flavorful and I bet the dogs would like that much more than the breasts, if there are no issues digestively which would limit the dog to less fat. I wish we had done that for Mr.Barkley.

Let us know what the oncologist tells you at the next visit. (((HUGS)))
Wow - I've been pulling chicken without even knowing it! That's sort of what I do. Right now, she is getting plain, bland white breast meat. Her poo is better, definitely not diarrhea, but also not quite firm. But I plan to continue the bland diet through the end of the course of antibiotics. Then hopefully, I will transition her back to her food. I've been mixing a bit of kibble in with the chicken and rice, both to give her a little crunch and for flavour. Also because I don't really have a good idea how much chicken and rice she should be getting. I want to make sure she is getting enough nutrition. I would say she has put back on the weight she lost, and she is definitely much brighter and more engaged. I think she would also love to go run around and play ball, but we have a few more days of just walking on leash for bathroom breaks. She is still sleeping a lot, but she is still fighting the infection, so that's to be expected.

#343 ·
How I wish that I had some special remedy to offer you and Tesia, but the prayers and healing thoughts of this community are the best magic that I know. Remember to take care of yourself, for you can't take good care of Tesia unless you're in good shape yourself.

Hugs and prayers,
Lucy

#344 ·
I was so sorry to read that the surgeon had confirmed that Tee does indeed have cancer. I am sure that was extremely difficult to hear. Please do not beat yourself up over not noticing the masses earlier. Unfortunately, we can't turn back the clock, now is the time to focus on what your plan of treatment is for Tee and to enjoy every moment you have together. Hopefully she will be with you next summer and beyond.

Prayers are going out to both of you.

#347 ·
I am so sorry the doctor confirmed your suspicions. It does seem so unfair. Tesia has a great mom and advocate and she will beat the odds. Everyone is praying hard for this and you just have to believe it will happen.

I can relate to your feeling of suspended reality. Everything is now colored by this new reality and challenge you are facing.

You have a great attitude and Tesia will feel your strength. This will help her fight and beat this. Sending prayers your way.

#348 ·
I'm sorry about the diagnosis and continue to keep you both in my prayers. Tesia's got a great advocate for her- you- and I know you two will fight this with all you can.

As far as pulling chicken- I let it cool down. If I'm cooking a whole chicken (usually in the slow cooker) it basically falls off the bone once I take the skin off. I wear food service plastic gloves to do this just to keep it sanitary. If it's a breast, I just cut it up with knife and fork and it usually naturally pulls into shreds.

I agree with Barb- thighs are more flavorful and I bet the dogs would like that much more than the breasts, if there are no issues digestively which would limit the dog to less fat. I wish we had done that for Mr.Barkley.

Let us know what the oncologist tells you at the next visit. (((HUGS)))

#353 ·
I think she would also love to go run around and play ball,

This is great news. Sending good thought to Tee for lots of time to do just that.
Thank you! Four more days til the stitches come out!

And I can't wait til she can be cone-free. I have started to leave it off when I am home - unless she goes into my bed to sleep and I can't monitor, then I put it on. She also has it on overnight. But she pays the wound no attention at all. Really, the only bits I've had to remind her not to lick are her IV sites. She's such a good girl. :eek:

#355 ·
Tesia

Glad to hear that Tee is eating and more engaged and that her stitches come out in three days.
I am sorry to hear the report, but we must all take it ONE DAY AT A TIME.
We have something to learn from dogs, they enjoy each day and don't worry about tomorrow!! Tesia has a wonderful Mom!!
Tesia reminds me so much of my Smooch!!

#358 ·
The yogurt is a good thing :) Andy's vet recommended it after his GI upsets, saying the 'good bacteria' needs to be replenished. He loved it. In fact, he just had some this morning.

#359 ·
Glad to see Tesia is getting more perky, that her stitches will be out soon and that her infection is under control. The stronger she can get the better it is for whichever treatment you and your vets will decide upon.

Since the chicken and rice has barely any fat, I would probably give the regular fat yoghurt. You might even try the Greek kind, it has more protein.

Hoping Tesia is back to chasing her ball really soon. You are both troopers and are in my thoughts.

Reactions: Sweet Girl
#360 ·
Well, who knew Miss Picky McPickster would love yogurt??? :):)

I am so happy. I needed the extra little nudge to try it (I'd been worried about adding something else to her upset tummy) and Millie'sMom's message came as I was feeling quite desperate (she hasn't eaten well at all today). I went and bought some Activia 4% plain, and mixed some chicken and rice with it. She LOVED it - licked the bowl clean. I plan to give her some more of all three with her nighttime antibiotic.

You guys are truly the best. I don't know what I would do without the support, the great suggestions, and encouragement. Thank you.

#363 ·
#362 ·
my vet prefers lactose free yogurt for dogs....

Reactions: Sweet Girl
#364 ·
Probably best to separate the yogurt from the antibiotic. Human antibiotics almost always say to not take with dairy or food high in calcium--it makes the drug ineffective. If you've already done that, don't worry about it, but you might check with the vet.

Glad she's chowing down the food!

#365 ·
Probably best to separate the yogurt from the antibiotic. Human antibiotics almost always say to not take with dairy or food high in calcium--it makes the drug ineffective. If you've already done that, don't worry about it, but you might check with the vet.

Glad she's chowing down the food!
I heard this too - that yogurt can be given after the course of antibiotic is done. Yogurt will help restore the intestinal flora that was destroyed by the antibiotic. I wouldn't worry about the little yogurt she has had.

My vet recommends Stonyfield Farm Organic. I've given Chance Vanilla and Banilla. He likes both.

#368 ·
There are also capsules of probiotics that restore bacteria in the gut and that can be taken with a meal - things like PB-8 and other brands. That might be an option, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.