Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What this forum has taught me

4K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  GoldensGirl 
#1 ·
This is in NO way meant to start bickering, so please don't. I simply want to express my thanks for what I've learned from this forum since Aug. If it gets heated I ask the Mods to please close it

When I decided that I finally wanted to get my first puppy I was super excited. I had never even looked for a puppy as we always rescued in the past. Therefore I had no idea about clearances or anything else.
I looked online and there were plenty of GR puppies very near my home that were ready to come home.
For whatever reason I called a woman 2 hours away. She had puppies but they wouldn't be ready to go home for another 3 weeks, she said I could come pick one out.
I didn't feel like driving to the store that day but I got in the car and drove all the way there to see the puppies. The first one I saw (out of 17) was Bentley. I picked him up, put him on my chest and said "You look like a Bentley". It was love. I didn't even look at the other puppies. I went out back and saw mom, dad, and grandparents. Paid and left.
When I got home I started looking online about puppies and that's when I found this forum. That's also when I learned about BYB, clearances ect. I will admit in the beginning I thought it was a load of doo-doo. Especially when I read about the contracts from the breeders.
I was appalled to say the least, about breeders demanding you do this and that, when and how or they would take back the puppy.
Well that was Aug and this is Nov. and I will tell you that I have come around.
I now know that it's possible that Bentley will have problems down the road, maybe, maybe not, but I know the possibility is there now. ( after I read about clearances I did check, Bentleys mom & dad have none, grandparents on both sides have either good or excellent. Not that that matters)
As for hating the contracts...how incredibly arrogant of me. (in hindsight).
I have spent my life rescuing the forgotten, unloved, abused dogs that had nobody in their corner.
At least these contracts guarantee that the puppies will always have someone that has their back, and I like that idea.

So I just wanted you to know that even though some of these threads get very heated, you are getting through to some of us.
Thank you for loving the pups enough to educate old, set in their ways, hard headed people like me :D

See less See more
#2 ·
What a great post! And you will love your Bentley no matter what!!

But, I am so glad you came around :)

#4 ·
:wavey:Oh, Joyce what a trouble maker you are. Just kiding. It's another really good post. Even though Tayla is our first purebred Golden she is a rescue from what I am assuming is a BYB and I've already had trouble with her as we found out at 7 months she has bad hips. I don't know if we will ever get a dog from a "reputable breeder" as we will probably always rescue, but you are correct in the fact that this forum is a great learning tool.

Reactions: Bentleysmom
#5 ·
I found this forum after I got Vinnie. I lost my sweet Lucy, she was a lab/golden mix. She was my third rescue dog and she was the love of my life. She died of cancer just before her ninth birthday. My husband and I needed to fill the void soon. We have to have a dog in our life to function. I have wanted a Golden all my life and I kind of felt guilty about not going the rescue route again but decided I would not settle for anything else. I answered an ad in the classified for a Golden and that's how I found him. The "breeder" said this is her first litter from her small red female and she bred her with large cream male. About a week ago I found her email address and sent her a picture and an update of Vinnie and she was ecstatic. I hope and pray that Vinnie lives a long healthy life and I will do everything I can to give him the best chance.

I can't say I have regrets now because I love Vinnie so much. He has had no health issues at all and other than the fact he was a normal puppy ( and still is) he has been a joy!

I'm sure if I ever get another Golden puppy I will go through a reputable breeder knowing what I know now.

This forum has been a God send to me and I echo what Joyce says...Thank you all for sharing your experience and expertise on a daily basis.

Lucy
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
I guess I do not understand. There will always be backyard breeders. These pups deserve a life too. My Allie was not wanted because she had problems. I payed for her and loved her and cared for her and she had a good life . Maybe she would have been put down if I didn't take her. She was my life and I will not say I am sorry for having her.

#7 ·
The reasoning is that if no one went to BYB then they wouldn't make any money and therefore would stop. That is never going to happen. In a perfect would it would, but I don't see that happening. Tayla wasn't purchased by us, but by someone else from a BYB and decided she was too much to handle. She was and is, but now it's just overgrown puppy stuff except for her hips. If it was a good breeder chances are we would not have a dog with bad hips. We would not have had to change plans we had for her and us in the things we wanted to do with her and we would not be looking at surgery down the road, pain for her and possibly a shorter lifespan because of cripling pain. That is just a personal experience why buying from a BYB is not a good idea.

#12 ·
Wow, I forgot you were such a newbie to this board. :wavey:

I started stalking this board and another one GoldenChat before I picked a breeder and it helped me a lot in choosing a breeder. Before that, I thought just any breeder was good, because I was not supporting puppy mills.

This board helped me get through Brady's puppyhood. I found out my little landshark was totally normal.

This board helped me in finding my rescue golden MacKenzie.

This board has also probably saved me many calls to the vet. Did you know one of the most common visits to vets for golden retriever puppies is the black spots on their tongues ( treat spots )? So, when Brady's showed up when he was a puppy, I already knew about it.

#13 ·
I got my little cavalier king charles (Charlie) from a private breeder who has only bred 2 litters and that is it. I then read all the horror stories about back street breeders so when we got Molly we went to a registered breeder who breeds show dogs and we know Molly's parents were tested. Not that this is a guarantee but it felt right to do it this way the second time around. I love this forum and it has and still does give me lots of good advice and quite afew laughs too. It's nice to know I'm not alone in raising this loveable but very rebellious teenage dragon.

#26 ·
I'm not an expert on this, but I'll try to explain what I have learned from reading many posts on the Forum.

"Backyard breeders" are people who breed their dogs without knowledge or understanding of genetics and/or the importance of getting tests and clearances for the genetic diseases that afflict a given breed. Their motives may or may not be good - some want the money, while some want a puppy to carry on the line of a beloved pet. But they do not help to make the breed as a whole healthier.

By contrast, "hobby breeders" are people who care deeply about the health and welfare of the breed. They invest a lot of time and energy in research and testing that lets them breed healthy dogs who will produce puppies that live long and healthy lives. They rarely make money on a litter and that is not the goal of breeding.

I hope this helps and I urge others who know more to correct any errors.

#16 ·
This is a great forum for the original reason, Joyce, and for so many more reasons. I have learned from so many people on here, about quality breeders and why they are the way to go when getting a puppy. If I had more knowlege I may, maybe, might have, turned down Tayla when she was offered to us. I would have done it during that first email my husband sent me, but not after I had her that's for sure. We will have a life time of issues with her hips and what ever else comes up. But the things I've learned don't just stop there and the people I've learned from have been a valuable help to me in my first "puppy" in more ways than you will ever know. I'm so glad I have so many people to get information from about a breed that I dearly love.

#18 ·
I know how you feel. I already had sent my deposit for Chester and was going through with it still after reading about clearances and everything else your suppose to look for with a reputable breeder, I didn't want to wait to save the amount of money. I just wanted a puppy and like you I didn't understand the big deal but now that I have been reading a lot more I see why BYB aren't a good idea. When I plan on getting Chester a brother or sister later down I will most definitely get a reputable breeder or even rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#19 ·
So I just wanted you to know that even though some of these threads get very heated, you are getting through to some of us.
Thank you for loving the pups enough to educate old, set in their ways, hard headed people like me :D
I second everything you said in your post! I started coming to this forum when my boyfriend got his golden puppy, Bernie. I didn't know anything about breeders/health clearances/etc. I knew that it was worth getting your puppy from a breeder even if it is expensive - but I didn't know there were good and bad breeders. Bernie is the most amazing pup ever, sweet and is quite the character. Unfortunately his breeder was a back yard breeder (not a fan at all of how he was kept), his parents aren't registered and don't have health clearances (I found a couple of his grandparents and great grandparents on k9data but thats about it). This doesn't change how much we love Bernie whatsoever! He's the most amazing dog and I can't wait to spend many many years with him! But I'm really nervous about health issues, especially with Golden's history of hip dysplasia and cancer..etc. Luckily there are so many great threads in this forum talking about keeping your dog healthy - whether its from a BYB or a reputable breeder. My boyfriend and I are looking into Vitamin C and other supplements for Bern to keep him as healthy as possible despite bad genetics. Because of this board I got my puppy (Oliver, picked him up today) from a reputable breeder. I could not be happier! Ollie's parents have all their health clearances, have a history of competition, and their kennel was immaculate. The breeder is extremely involved in her pups lives after they leave the 'nest' (she asked to be invited to the wedding if my bf and I got married...haha) I'll definitely be leaning on her (along with this forum) for advice with raising both Bernie and Oliver. She's already helped out a lot with Bernie's training and couldn't wait to meet him even though he wasn't one of her pups. The care and dedication to the breed that reputable breeders have is remarkable and oh-so important. I wish that we could rid the world of BYB's for the dogs' sake :(. All dogs deserve loving homes, which is why its great that dog-lovers buy pups from everywhere and give them great lives! I just wish that all breeders cared as much and bred to give all dogs the healthiest lives possible. Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the advice and knowledge you've given us newbs!

:p: Courtney

Attachments

#23 ·
Nice post Joyce.
I knew about health clearances from my days of working with Leslie! But it had been years since I'd had a puppy and Golden's are different than Cocker's, some of the same concerns, but not all.
So for me this was a great place to update and learn new knowledge. I have all the clearances and the questions I had were all answered etc etc...yet...there are no guarantees...better odds yes, guarantees no.....it's sad that these beauties are subjected to so many ailments....

#24 ·
Nice post Joyce.
I knew about health clearances from my days of working with Leslie! But it had been years since I'd had a puppy and Golden's are different than Cocker's, some of the same concerns, but not all.
So for me this was a great place to update and learn new knowledge. I have all the clearances and the questions I had were all answered etc etc...yet...there are no guarantees...better odds yes, guarantees no.....it's sad that these beauties are subjected to so many ailments....
I agree!! I'm praying the study they're doing with GR's will help find a solution to this stuff, they deserve better!

#28 ·
Joyce, I'm SO glad you have found this Forum. I have been a member for a really long time and have made some great friends on here :) One of them happens to be a reputable breeder.

I, too, did the same thing you did, got a BYB dog. Do I love her any less? Absolutely not! She is my first dog, my friend, and a great teacher. She is still the love of my life and will always be. I have also learned so much about training and competing in agility and obedience. I wouldn't be where I am today, if I had not learned from my mistakes. But then again, we are all human and learn from each and every one of them.

I know my girls' health could be at risk, but I'm doing everything I can to provide the BEST quality of life she can possibly have.

I thank you for such a great post. You know we are always welcome to provide and guide you with answers to any questions you have in the future on breeders and genetic or clearances we provide (and why). :)

Enjoy your life with Bentley and focus on how much of a great dog he is!

#29 · (Edited)
When I decided that I finally wanted to get my first puppy I was super excited. I had never even looked for a puppy as we always rescued in the past. Therefore I had no idea about clearances or anything else.
I looked online and there were plenty of GR puppies very near my home that were ready to come home.
For whatever reason I called a woman 2 hours away. She had puppies but they wouldn't be ready to go home for another 3 weeks, she said I could come pick one out.
I didn't feel like driving to the store that day but I got in the car and drove all the way there to see the puppies. The first one I saw (out of 17) was Bentley. I picked him up, put him on my chest and said "You look like a Bentley". It was love. I didn't even look at the other puppies. I went out back and saw mom, dad, and grandparents. Paid and left.
When I got home I started looking online about puppies and that's when I found this forum. That's also when I learned about BYB, clearances ect. I will admit in the beginning I thought it was a load of doo-doo. Especially when I read about the contracts from the breeders.
I was appalled to say the least, about breeders demanding you do this and that, when and how or they would take back the puppy.
Well that was Aug and this is Nov. and I will tell you that I have come around.
I now know that it's possible that Bentley will have problems down the road, maybe, maybe not, but I know the possibility is there now. ( after I read about clearances I did check, Bentleys mom & dad have none, grandparents on both sides have either good or excellent. Not that that matters)
As for hating the contracts...how incredibly arrogant of me. (in hindsight).
I have spent my life rescuing the forgotten, unloved, abused dogs that had nobody in their corner.
At least these contracts guarantee that the puppies will always have someone that has their back, and I like that idea.

Respectfully, I'd point out that your post essentially reads to me as "I got the perfect puppy for me without conditions and on my time table, probably at a low cost, by choosing a puppy I had a personal connection with and meeting a breeder I was comfortable with, instead of doing things the way some members of the forum would insist I do things. Next time, though, I'm going to do things completely differently and get a less affordable puppy with tons of contractual conditions placed upon the purchase and how I handle things after purchase, plus maybe let the breeder pick a puppy for me without my input or a prior connection with the puppy, because the Internet told me that's the way to go.". Doesn't make much sense to me. If you'd come here and listened to the Internet prior to getting your puppy, Bentley wouldn't in your life today. Of course, it's your right to do and think whatever you please within the limits of what's ethical and what's legal, and I wish you the best of luck now and in the future, but I don't agree with you, and I don't think it makes much sense.

Again, I mean that in a respectful way, and not as a personal knock. I love reading your posts about Ky and Bentley. I just can't agree with what you're saying here.

But I will never, ever buy from a breeder or adopt from any place that makes me sign a contract that gives them rights to my dog and to dictate the decisions I make for my dog after I adopt him, is overly invasive of my privacy, or doesn't let me pick my own puppy out. Nor will I or could I pay the freight of what most of those type of breeders charge even if I wanted to, and no one would loan me *that* type of money for that sort of thing.

Thank God for back yard breeders. That's all I have to say.

And if people reply in a heated way, remember, I didn't knock anyone, I didn't make it heated. Anything that gets heated as a response to this post will be because people aren't willing to show the same tense of tolerance toward my point of view that I show toward their's. :)

#31 ·
You have contradicted everything that Joyce has just said! Sorry, but I'd rather have a dedicated breeder pick my puppy out, do all required health testing, AND know what I want in my puppy, as they are the ones who are with them firsthand, NOT me.

I don't thank God for backyard breeders. For all I know, mine could have been dead at 3 due to cancer. I would have at least gotten my money back from a reputable breeder who stands behind the dogs for the life of them. My "breeder" has not once called to check on my dog. :no:

#32 ·
Please be careful in your responses, friends. This began as a thread about learning and gratitude for the many here who share their knowledge. Let's keep it that way, please, regardless of where you get your beloved dogs.

#33 ·
As I said, I do not want this turned into a debate. However, Let me be clear on one thing.
I have not lived 6+ decades by being a "sheep". It has been 3 months, that's because I did my own research in order to come to my own conclusion. Thankfully the majority of people here don't just spew facts, they add links, references, allowing me a place to begin my journey.
I have done my research and made my decision on this matter.
What you wrote..... "Respectfully, I'd point out that your post essentially reads to me as" does feel disrespectful to me. You can't put the word 'respectfully' in front of a diss and call it good. I'm sorry but you know nothing of how I came to my decision.
You can have a different opinion, I have no problem with that but I do have a problem with you taking MY words and rewriting them into your words then telling me "respectfully".
If you write a post that I disagree with I figure that's your right, I just move on. I don't 'rewrite' your words for you.
I actually would have felt less disrespected if you had called me an idiot. I just don't take kindly to people changing my words or insinuating that I'm a sheep.
That's my last word on this topic so please don't try to goad me into more. It won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.