Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

It Took About 9 Years

2K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  beemerdog 
#1 ·
It took about 9 years, but.... first thing every morning my Toby now runs to the kitchen counter where I keep his eye drops and thyroid medications, waiting for me to give them to him! :D If I don't get to business fast enough he barks at me! :D I think it has a lot to do with that tiny tad of pill pocket that I use to hide the pills! I just can't help remembering our first few weeks after we adopted him learning how to give him drops and getting him to understand this was going to happen whether he liked it or not. He was born with a congenital cataract that requires daily medication. We soon perfected our technique with his drops, but getting him to cooperate was a challenge until we discovered we could bribe him with a kibble or later, a dose of his prescribed medicine. I still ended up enticing him over for it all, but no more!

:D:smooch::smooch:Toby, you've come a long way baby! You make me proud!

#4 ·
It is funny how that happens, my guys know after meals there are pills wrapped in bread. When they finish their kibble, they all line up at the pill cupboard! It's too cute!

I could imagine drops are quite the challenge though........Good Boy Toby!

Reactions: Dallas Gold
#5 ·
That is awesome!

Cubby, my childhood shih tzu had to have eye drops for the last 14 years of his life. We were always chasing him to give them to him or climbing under beds to grab him. If I remember correctly, I even had to go for a tetanus shot because he drew blood when he bit me because of the drops.

#11 ·
A dog who willingly comes for eye drops? Toby, you're awesome.

My girl also loves her daily meat flavoured painkiller. She doesn't come looking for it after breakfast - but she knows it comes after dinner. She comes to remind me if I forget.

Reactions: Dallas Gold
#12 ·
Bravo Toby, such a good boy!

#15 ·
I suspect he's just trying to lull you into a false sense of security ;)

#17 ·
Probably so, knowing my little devious Diva dog Tobynator!

BTW, I'm in the dog house today-- we had to board him yesterday due to going to Austin for a family commitment and boy are we getting the Toby stink eye tonight! :doh::doh: then tomorrow we'll be in even more of a situation as he has an eye check up! :uhoh:

#19 ·
I used to put a small shmear of unsalted peanut butter on a unsalted top cracker and to hold her thyroid pill for summer.

Now I just throw it in her dish with her kibble and she heads for the pill first. If I forget to add it to her meal I just hand it to her plain and she will take it.
If she drops the pill I pick it up and say "you took it, now you eat it" and the pill goes down.

The "you took it now you eat it" also works with pickles and hot peppers. She may not enjoy it but she does what I tell her to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.