Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

finally taking the leap

7K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  Suni52 
#1 ·
As many of you know, I have polymyositis, an autoimmune, progressive muscle disease. It qualifies me as "officially disabled" under the ADA, and entitles me to a service dog/mobility assistance dog.
Anyway, I've been toying with making Tito a service dog for a long time, and have been sort of chicken to do it. But Jodie's experiences with Flip made me decide, what the heck, I might as well give it a go.
So Tito is going to be my mobility assist dog.
I ordered the book for training your mobility assist dog, and luckily it was worthless to me because Tito already knows all of the commands they "teach", and many more. He already picks up anything I drop, pushes doors open, and lets me lean on him for balance when I need to. He retrieves anything he's told to go get. And with his calm, laid back temperament, and totally non-reactive demeanor in public, he's the perfect candidate.
So I just ordered a mobility assist harness for him. Not the cheap version that's really just made for people who are trying to pass off their pets as service dogs, ($70) but the really good one that's designed so that you don't put pressure on the dog's structure in a bad way when they are assisting you ($350).
It will take it over a month to get here. Then we will see what happens from there. I've been chicken, afraid that I will get kicked out of places when I try to take him in.

See less See more
#4 ·
I know where you're coming from Barb, I've been chicken too. I'm not the type to want to draw attention to myself (when I go shopping I do my darndest to avoid people I know).

Louisiana law is very generous with service dogs in training - they are allowed the same access as actual service dogs. So while I'm not done training Flip, I could start taking him out. I haven't yet though - back to that whole not wanting to draw attention to myself thing. Plus there are a few areas of basic manners I want to clean up before I let him represent service dogs in training in public.

Good luck to you, I hope you keep us updated.

Reactions: hotel4dogs
#7 ·
Thanks for the good thoughts. Jodie, I am exactly the same, I don't want to draw attention to myself in public. Carolina Casey thanks for the compliments from National!!
His harness will take about a month to get here. Then I will see how it goes. The only thing he will need to get used to is that he thinks he can't walk if something is on his body! Although he has gotten used to his neoprene vest for swimming in cold water, and his blaze orange hunting vest, so he should get used to it pretty fast.

Reactions: Karen519
#11 ·
Thanks for the good thoughts. Jodie, I am exactly the same, I don't want to draw attention to myself in public. Carolina Casey thanks for the compliments from National!!
His harness will take about a month to get here. Then I will see how it goes. The only thing he will need to get used to is that he thinks he can't walk if something is on his body! Although he has gotten used to his neoprene vest for swimming in cold water, and his blaze orange hunting vest, so he should get used to it pretty fast.
Barb, just don't put a speedo on him ever again, I'm sure he will adjust. :)

And I think this is just awesome... and does bring home exactly why obedience training matters or the benefits of all that training even after that dog has his titles and is retired.

#9 ·
Barb - I think that is awesome!! Both for you & Tito (and Jodie & Flip).

Tito will do an incredible job and giving the dogs a job, especially one so special, just brings joy to all involved!

Reactions: hotel4dogs
#10 ·
Don't be nervous. I have Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and while most days I am fine, there are some days that I just can't bend over to pick stuff off the ground. I trained Remy to be a service dog and now I take him with me on my "bad" days. Sure, people stop and look... but they're all just admiring how handsome Remy is. Plus I take it as a great opportunity to teach kids how to behave around dogs and service dogs in particular... while I DO allow Remy to receive pets while on the job, they have to approach him correctly and stay calm... good practice for everyone!

#12 ·
When I was at Petsmart the other day, after I checked out I dropped the receipt on the floor. I told Tito to "take it" for me, and he picked it up, even though it was just a piece of paper. The check-out person was stunned. He said he'd never seen a dog so well trained. I told him to drop a $100 bill on the floor and watch how good my dog is at picking THAT up!

#13 ·
Good for you! If anyone kicks you out, shame on them. They're the reason the ADA was needed in the first place. It's great that you have your service dog already. Now Tito will have yet another title to add to his expansive list. :)

#14 ·
I just need to get over feeling funny about it. Heck, I won't even get a handicap parking card because I'm afraid I might take the spot from someone else who needs it more :(.

#15 ·
Why? You can always decide you won't park your car in that spot...I think it is fantastic that both you and Jodie are training your dogs to be service dogs. I sometimes think that people believe that all those titles are just vanity. If I read Jodie's approach to the Flip's training, it proves, like Kate said, that training is so important. I am not sure I could do what you guys, experienced in obedience training and much more, can do with your dogs, but it is really exciting to read how you do it.

#16 ·
Good for you Barb - and yes I totally understand the discomfort with drawing attention.

I will tell you right now that 99% of the time I say service dog and people say "so happy to see you both." However it's the dummies out there who can really be a challenge.

Most often the comment is "but you are not blind," said loud enough for everyone within a 1 mile radius can hear. I typically respond, really?! Wow I would not have known that had you not told me! Yes it is mortifying - but you live through it, and take it as an educational opportunity.

Tito does indeed sound like a fabulous candidate. My Remy is actually a TERRIBLE candidate - people are absolutely stunned at the difference in his behaviour when he is suited up vs. not. When he's working he is aas close to perfect as I could ever hope - when he's not, he's a total goofball.

One day we were going through TSA and they made me take EVERYTHING off of him. Well wouldn't you know Remy decided to take a victory lap around the entire screening area of the airport! I got all kinds of nasty comments and I was humliated. Then I slipped his gear back on, and he snapped to attention! The same people who were making the nasty comments immediately took it all back and they were the ones embarrassed.

In the end you need to keep it all in perspective and thank G-d that you have the opportunity to work with your dog in a manner that will give you a unique and special bond.

Keep us posted of your successes and good luck!

#18 ·
I wasn't aware that you had these challenges but you must feel so proud of Tito to know that you trained him to act as your service dog. And my bet would be that Tito feels pretty special being able to help you! And for crying out loud get the sticker...you of all people are not going to take advantage of it if you don't need it a given day.

Pete

#22 ·
Thanks for the support and good wishes! Lenna, I loved your story about the airport! Too funny!
This morning I was sitting on the edge of my bed getting dressed, which means Tito is carefully retrieving my clothing items from a short table in the bathroom and I am sitting on the bed putting them on as he brings them (I'm feeling lazy today). I normally put my clothes there the night before. Anyway, as he was standing patiently in the middle of my bedroom with my underwear hanging out of his mouth while I was putting a sock on, I couldn't help thinking, "Now THERE's a photo I need to post on the forum!!!" But first I'd need to teach him to retrieve the camera ;)

#23 ·
Karen, autoimmune diseases are weird. Lenna can attest to this I'm sure, since RA is also autoimmune. I can go long periods of time feeling very good, then it will flare up and I will be just downright miserable. The flares last anywhere from days to months. Normally they adjust my steroids upward then, but that causes its own sets of problems.
But I do go for long periods of time feeling pretty good, so please don't feel sorry for me.

#26 ·
While yes I can agree with your descriptin of autoimmune diseases, Ashley is the one with RA, I've got Lupus, yet another autoimmune disease . When it's good, it's REALLY good but when it's bad it's UBER bad.

I put my foot down and said no more steroids a few weeks ago, due to the weight gain I've experienced - I just need to figure out alternatives, and drop this weight!

But no steroids for a few weeks means right now I'm in my own little slice of hell. Thankfully Remy seems to know when it's bad and stays at my side.

I'll say it again, Barb please keep us apprised of your progress. I know for me it was extremely rewarding to train Remy. It sounds like you are already reaping those benefits with your Tito.

#29 ·
oops, sorry. I'm very familiar with Lupus, too. They think that, in addition to the polymyositis I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, but it doesn't really matter what the "working diagnosis" is because, as you know, they treat them all the same.
I wander around from 10 mg to 80 mg of prednisone per day. Um yep, can sure relate to the weight gain issue, which doesn't help a muscle disease. But without the steroids, I can't walk. I do methotrexate every now and then, too, the injected form, which does help. But I won't do the other biologic agents, the risk of secondary cancers is just too high. At least for now I won't.
I seriously can't make it without the steroids. The muscle aches are too bad, and my joints swell to put pressure on the nerves in my hands and feet, which causes a whole new set of problems. It's why I had a walking "boot" for 12 weeks last winter.
Anyway, I sure hope you feel better quickly without the steroids. I can sure appreciate the hell you are living in right now.

While yes I can agree with your descriptin of autoimmune diseases, Ashley is the one with RA, I've got Lupus, yet another autoimmune disease . When it's good, it's REALLY good but when it's bad it's UBER bad.

I put my foot down and said no more steroids a few weeks ago, due to the weight gain I've experienced - I just need to figure out alternatives, and drop this weight!

But no steroids for a few weeks means right now I'm in my own little slice of hell. Thankfully Remy seems to know when it's bad and stays at my side.

I'll say it again, Barb please keep us apprised of your progress. I know for me it was extremely rewarding to train Remy. It sounds like you are already reaping those benefits with your Tito.

#28 ·
Barb, while I'm sorry you have a medical challenge, it's wonderful that Tito is able and willing to be your helpmate. It took my mom forever to get a handicapped hanger for her car for the same reasons you stated, but it certainly has helped her a great deal since she overcame her reluctance. Go Team Tito, yet again:)

#30 ·
I got an email from the harness people yesterday asking for all of Tito's measurements, which was kind of exciting. The harness is custom made. I needed his height, width at the chest, girth around the chest, diagonal girth around his belly to his shoulders, his weight, and the height of the mobility assist handle off of his back. A mobility assist handle is much smaller than a "guide handle" like you see on vision assist dogs; Tito's will be 6 inches off his back. Also it goes the other way; the vision assist dogs' handles face the front of the dog, whereas this is sideways on the harness so that it spreads out the pulling weight across his shoulders.
I learned something else interesting from the harness people, too. You should never, ever put a back pack on your dog, especially on a mobility assist dog who is being asked to shoulder (pardon the pun) some of your weight sometimes, too. A dog's structure is such that weight over their spine is very bad for them. Instead, you need a "shoulder pack" that puts the weight on their shoulder blades, not their spine. Now I'm not talking the little packs (I ordered one for Tito) that hold only your keys, phone, and a few poop bags. I'm talking a back pack.
One thing I learned from the book I read about training your mobility assist dog is that it's very good for your dog to know how to "back up". Luckily, Tito already knows that (I knew rally would come in handy for something someday, LOL). But if you want to put them under a booth in a restaurant, or on the floor in front of your seat in an airplane if you don't have the bulkhead seats, or on a bus, train, etc., it's better to have them back in so they can see out and also not have to try to turn around in that narrow little space when it's time to leave. I wouldn't have thought of having him back in.

Reactions: AmberSunrise
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.