Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Question about tooth issue

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Buddy's mom forever 
#1 ·
I noticed Wilson, who is 3, was having a little blood on his tennis ball when playing catch.
I checked his mouth and there seems to be a problem with the two little teeth behind his fang on his left side. I've attached a couple pictures.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm taking him to the Vet Thursday

The last picture is his right side, which seems fine

Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No experience with it, please let us know what the vet says about it.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi,
I was getting a bit concerned that if the tooth needed to come out and I waited until Thursday to see my regular vet, Wilson might have to wait until after the weekend to have the procedure. I took him in today to see the other vet in the office. She said that it is in the wrong position. It can't stay that way so it has to be extracted. He's having it done Thursday morning. bummer. He's never been anesthetized before. I hope he's ok.

#8 ·
Thank you for the replies.
Wilson is fine. He wants to play and he's eating fine.

The vet prescribed Rimadyl but I'm not going to give it to him until after the procedure. He doesn't need it now and I don't like all the side effects so no sense giving it when he's ok.

She also prescribed Clindamycin for any possible infections. I am going to start him on that tomorrow.

I'm really not crazy about the Rimadyl. Anyone have any opinions on that?

#12 ·
Turns out it was some kind of boney growth on the root of the tooth that caused it to move like that. They are going to biopsy the growth. Both vets said they think that it's benign so I'm hoping they are right. From what I read on line, the growths that come off of teeth are usually benign. I am praying they are right.

I will know by Monday hopefully.

#13 ·
Thanks for the update. I hope it is benign.

#16 ·
The biopsy was benign. I'm not sure if it's cancer or not. The paperwork from the biopsy was from a Dog Cancer place. He has something called keratinizing ameleoblastoma. It's a tumor that grows off the jawbone, either upper or lower. Doesn't seem to metastasize so that's good. It will come back in the same spot though, some dogs as early as 6 mos others 15 mos later. They can do radiation on it but the best thing seems to be to remove that part of the jawbone. They can take it out like they did this time and it will more than likely come back. If it reoccurs too often then they do surgery to remove that part of the jawbone. It doesn't come back in a different spot so that's good, it won't show up somewhere else like a leg or other bone. It is specific to the jawbone. It's not breed specific or male/female specific. There's really no indicator as to who will get it or not. My breeder has been breeding goldens for 25 years and this is the first time she's even heard of this. The study I read didn't even include a golden. Other breeds but not a golden. I'm glad he's ok and this procedure was pretty easy for him. He ate dinner the same night.
I guess if it comes back I will just have it taken out like I did this time. The vet told me to watch that spot in his mouth and if I see anything change to bring him in right away. She said I caught this very early which is kind of scary since it seemed like a pretty big mess there to me. I can't imagine what it would have looked like if it had gone on for a long time. It's slow growing so that's good.

#17 ·
Wilson had his surgery to remove the tumor. He had it done Friday. He wound up have to have a pretty large piece of his upper jaw removed including 4 teeth. He lost one of the incisors next this his canine (fang), the canine and 2 behind it. The tumor had grown in the roof of his mouth too. The growth had to be cut out to past the center of his mouth. He's doing surprisingly well. He ate that night and has been doing pretty well. His lip has gotten funky from the surgery and now he has a sore there. I am pretty sure it will heal but in the meantime it's bothering him a bit. I'm not sure if I can put anything on it. I'll try some antibiotic ointment. He's still on pain meds and antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs. If you want to see pics let me know. I didn't want to post them in case they upset anyone. Some people don't like to see surgical photos. There's no blood but they can be disturbing.

#18 ·
Good,decision., how old??.

#19 ·
poor sweet thing! I bet he is really sore. I would check with the vet in regards to the cream. As far as the pic they would not bother me, I hope that stands for the other members.

#20 ·
I did call the vet and they said there really isn't anything you can put on his mouth. They are hoping the tissue relaxes and falls back down.

I put the pictures in an album titled Wilson's Surgery if you would like to see them.

He's doing remarkably well. He wants to play so bad! He can't have his tennis balls back though until after we see the doctor again this Thursday.
He has a wool tennis ball but he doesn't like it as much as the regular tennis ball.

He is eating his regular food but I am soaking it first. He is doing really good.
I hope they removed all the tumor and it's ok. I haven't gotten the results back from the test of the tumor yet. They check to see that it's not at the edges of the tissue that was removed. Hopefully they can tell me on Thursday that it was all clean.

#21 ·
It has been awhile, hope Wilson fully recovered and doing great. Please update when you find time.

#22 ·
Hi,
Wilson is doing ok. The roof of his mouth has healed over so now it just has to heal inside.
He's back to playing with his tennis ball, which he lives for, hahaha

The side of his mouth is relaxing a bit but it will never get back to what it was. The only problem
I'm having with it now is there is a small sore on the part of his mouth near the front.
I have been putting lanolin on it but he keeps licking that off. I'll have to try to figure out a
way to distract him right after I put it on so it might have a chance to work.

Any suggestions?

#23 ·
How is Wilson doing? Hope that sore was gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.