Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Acana Ranchlands

4K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  artbuc 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Acana/Orijen are all great foods. I did Acana for a little bit, but with THK, my bill was getting pretty large. So now I do Earthborn Coastal Catch and Grandma Lucy's freeze dried. Both dogs are doing well on it so I hope to stay with this for a while.

#9 ·
Mines on Acana Lamb/Apple. He has issues with certain foods. He does well on this food. If you can deal with Oats being in the food the one I feed is a few bucks cheaper then Ranchlands. But, all are good and I do rotate in Ranchlands every now and again.

Pacifica, Ranchlands, Lamb/Apple are the only ones with NO chicken...not even chicken fat or eggs. They do also make a duck/pear one but not sure how that would work if yours is allergic to chicken.

#11 ·
I don't think high fat is an issue for dogs. Once Rusty is an adult I plan on feeding him Acana dog foods. Here is my list of foods I will be rotating:

1. Acana Pacifica
2. Acana Grasslands
3. Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural
4. Merrick Grain Free Duck and Sweet Potato

I'll be switching in some of the other Acana's and Merrick's foods as well. Earthborn is a great cat food, and I will be using them as toppers for my dog (with Merrick as well).

Orijen will be added once in a while as well. I don't want my dog to get bored of his food. Also, I will be giving a raw food meals maybe once or twice a week. Maybe I'm not sure about raw yet.

#15 ·
Very good question. Personally, I wouldn't feed a food this high in ca, and especially never to a puppy. It would be interesting to know the ash content. My crew does better on a more moderate food with some grain. I've had them on Acana (altho not Ranchlands), Orijen, Wellness Core and currently have them on Dr Tim's Kinesis. They've never looked better!

#18 ·
I've been feeding my golden (Logan) Acana for the past year and he really likes it. In addition to the dry Acana, I mix vegetables to his meals. On occasion i give him boiled chicken breast (no skin). I also give Logan fish oil vitamins in his meal. I buy these fish oil vitamins from Costco, the same fish oil vitamins I take. The fish oil vitamins were suggested by my vet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.