Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Do antibiotics make your dog really tired?

86K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jmamom 
#1 ·
Hi all, hope you can help me out with this one. If I call the vet with one more question this week I think they'll kick me out of their practice! Josie's about 1/2 way through a ten day course of antibiotics for giardia. I can tell her tummy isn't loving it, but the vet said that was pretty common. On top of that, she's really really tired. Not lethargic - if you get her up and out, she'll run around a bit, happy to walk up and down the street with me. Once she's inside, though, she goes right to her bed and doesn't budge. Should I be worried about something other than the antibiotics?
Thanks!!!

#2 ·
antibiotics don't make them tired, per se, but they do sometimes make them feel kinda lousy and they lie around more, which we interpret as tired.
Hope she's better soon!

#3 ·
Antibiotics

All I know about antibiotics is that in the process of doing their job, they kill off the bacteria in the intestines. Good and bad. In a round of antibiotics (human and dog) those friendly bacterias need to be replenished in the intestine. This can be done by giving your pup plain UNSWEETENED yogurt with live bacterium culture. (not sweetened version cause xylitol is not safe for pups they say). Or adding a digestive enzyme/probiotic powder/tablet to their diet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.