Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

End of Life Care for Dying Pets

8K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Penny & Maggie's Mom 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Anne, thank you for that link. End of life issues ( whether pet or human) are so very hard, and just knowing what to look for and expect can make the process so much easier. Can mods make this a sticky?????

#10 ·
Amen........

#8 ·
Thank you for posting this.....I wish I would have had a choice when it came to Phoenix's passing....he passed from surgery complications due to bloat.

#9 ·
I've lost three goldens in the last 8 years. All were older rescues, but my last one was really probably only 7 or 8 when I lost him due to dx of liver cancer. I did not even know of hemangiosarcom then and now I think it might have been that.

6 days from dx to PTS. I should have been strong enough one day earlier, but just wasn't. He was not in pain since I had plenty of drugs for him and even a shot to PTS myself if needed.

I am so afraid I am going to have to face more of a decision with Copper. It has always been an absolute before with no time for thought both with my dogs and cats. I greatly fear this and your link will help me I'm sure.

thanks.

#11 ·
Thank you for posting this information.

To those of you who have lost your beloved Golden, there have been so many recently, I am truly sorry, I know your pain too well, the profound loss you feel, my heart goes out to each of you. I hope in the days to come your pain and feeling of loss will ease and you will be able to look back at the times you had with your special friend and enjoy all those special moments you had together.

I don't go into the Rainbow Bridge section often, not because I don't care, because it's too hard for me probably because I know I soon will be in your situation. I read your stories about your best friend and I feel your pain as it were my own.

I have been extremely forutnate and blessed in my lifetime to have had several dogs live to be in their late teens. Two I had since they were pups-one lived to be 17 the other 16 1/2. Another dog lived to 17 and one 12. I now have a 15 year old boy who has been with us since he was 8 wks. old. I know each day with him is a very special gift and I am dreading the day when it's his time.

Each time one of mine has passed, a piece of me went with them, but I could never bear to be without another Golden, I needed another one to help heal my heart. I don't feel a new one can ever replace the one that passed, they are all so unique in their own way, but they sure can bring happiness and joy back into your life again.

#12 ·
You are fortunate

Wow, to have goldens live so long!! I lost my beautiful boy Sam I Am just 2 weeks ago. He was 13 years 2 1/2 months. My husband and I miss him terribly. Coming into the house after work everyday is the hardest because I still have that brief instant of expecting him to be there. My husband is home much of the time and Sam was his constant companion. Goldens are the best! I wish we could have kept Sam longer but know he had reached the end. He died the way I had always hoped he would, with us by his side and when he decided to go. He had his best week in probably 9 months just before he died. The beach picture of him in my picture gallery is just 1 week before he died. He was watching kids in the water of Lake Michigan and got lots of wet hugs from them when they came out of the water. It is helpful to have a site where I can share these thoughts. Not everyone understands how important they are to us.

#13 ·
Sam's Mom, welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry for your loss. You'll find much support here and would suggest that you post also in the members introduction section so more can welcome you. We love all things golden, but there is a very very special place in our hearts for the seniors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.